ÇáãÓÇÚÏ ÇáÔÎÕí ÇáÑÞãí

ãÔÇåÏÉ ÇáäÓÎÉ ßÇãáÉ : People are equal - stories

Emad Fadel
08-06-2010, 03:57 AM
A disagreement occurred between Abū Dharr and Bilāl, two of the Prophet’s highly esteemed Companions. In a fit of temper, Abū Dharr called Bilāl “the son of a black woman”. The Prophet was extremely upset at this. He rebuked
Abū Dharr saying: “That is too much, Abū Dharr. He who has a white mother has no advantage which makes him better than the son of a black mother.” [Related by Ibn al-Mubārak with slightly different wording.]

Thus the Prophet put the dispute into its proper perspective. What distinguishes people is their faith, not their color. This is the Islamic criterion.

Once `Ammār ibn Yāsir asked for permission to see the Prophet. The Prophet said:
“Let him come in. Welcome to the cleansed, good man.” [Related by al-Tirmidhī.] He also said of him: “Ammār is full of faith to the top of his head.” [Related by alNasā’ī.] Moreover, Ĥudhayfah related that the Prophet said: “I do not know how long I shall be with you, so accept the leadership of the two who will follow me [and he pointed to Abū Bakr and `Umar], and follow `Ammār’s guidance. Believe whatever Ibn Mas`ūd tells you.” [Related by al-Tirmidhī.]ch is so unlike the worldly criteria of jāhiliyyah societies.

The Prophet’s rebuke had a profound effect on Abū Dharr, who was very sensitive. He wanted to atone for his mistake, so he put his head on the ground swearing that he would not raise it until Bilāl had put his foot over it.
Bilāl achieved a position of great distinction in Islamic society. What made his
achievement possible was the application of heaven’s values. Abū Hurayrah related that the Prophet once said to Bilāl: “Tell me, which of your actions do you hope to be the most rewarding for you, for last night I heard your footsteps as you drew near to me in heaven?” Bill answered: “I do not think that since becoming a Muslim I have ever done anything which I hope to be more rewarding than that every time I perform ablution at any time of the day or night I pray whatever I can.” [Related by al-Bukhārī and Muslim.]

Emad Fadel
08-06-2010, 04:02 AM
Ibn Mas`ūd was so close to the Prophet that any stranger in Madinah would have thought him a member of the Prophet’s household. Abū Mūsā said: “I came to Madinah from the Yemen with my brother. For quite some time we were under the impression that Ibn Mas`ūd and his mother belonged to the Prophet’s household, an impression we had formed because of the frequency of their comings and goings from the Prophet’s homes, and their long companionship with him.” [Related by al-Bukhārī and Muslim and al-Tirmidhī.]

The Prophet himself sought the hand of an Anşārī woman in marriage for Julaybib, a former slave. “Her parents were reluctant to sanction such a marriage. She, however, said to them: ‘Do you mean to reject the Prophet’s suit? If the Prophet thinks that this man is suitable for us, then let this marriage go through.’ So they gave their consent.” [Related by Aĥmad.]

Soon after his marriage, Julaybib took part in an armed expedition. After the
battle, which resulted in a victory for the Muslims, the Prophet asked his
Companions: “Is anybody missing?” They named a few people. He repeated the question and they named a few others. He asked the same question for the third time and they answered in the negative. He said: “I think Julaybib is missing.” They looked for him and found his body next to seven enemy soldiers whom he had killed. The Prophet went over, stood near him, and said: “He killed seven before he himself was slain. This man belongs to me and I belong to him.” He lifted him into his arms until a grave had been dug. He then put him in his grave. The tradition does not say whether Julaybib was given a death wash or not. [Related by Muslim.]