المساعد الشخصي الرقمي

مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : Abu Damdam, the man who forgive those who abused him

ramevic
01-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Peace be upon you,

Allah Almighty says in the Quran:

"Those who repress their anger and pardon people. For Verily Allah loves those who do good" [Suarh al Imran (3): 134]

Nawawi cites an opinion of Imam Shafi who once said that is a person insults another then sincerely offers an apology, if the insulted person does not accept the apology, then the insulted person is like a devil (in that he refuses to accept the apology of the one who insulted him).

Nawawi expanded on this opinion by citing a tradition from amongst the honourable pre Islamic Arabs:

"It was said to me: Such and such a person has spoken badly of you, And when a youth goes out to humiliate someone, it is a shame, So I said: he has come to us and issues an excuse,The compensation for such a sin (insult), is an apology"

Excuses, such as freedom of expression in launching an insult do not stand the same ground as an apology for unjustly abusing the concept of freedomof expression, and God knows best.

In any case, the example of Abu Damdam, one which we should all learmn from, goes even one step further:

Anas said that once the Prophet exclaimed, "Can't anyone of you be like Abu Damdam?" The Companions asked, "Who is Abu Damdam, O Messenger of Allah?" He replied, "When he gets up in the morning he says, 'O Allah, I offer my honor and life to You?' So that he would not abuse those who abused him, nor would he wrong those who wronged him, or hit those who hit him." [Fiqh us Sunnah, 4/115]

Abu Damdam was less concerned about whether he would recieve an apology or not, more, he was concerned about how he would restrain himself from actuing equally unjustly when someone would insult him, or his faith. This higher road is exactly what we as Muslims need to understand and adopt today, partcularly in light of issues such as these inappropriate cartoons.

Besides, how shameful of the Muslims to become worked up over a cartoon when the real issues of persecution do not generate anywhere near as much public support?

May Allah Almighty have mercy and guide us from knowing when to object and how to object in a manner which reflects the beauty of Islam, and not with the barbarity or misproportioned response we see today, ameen.