ÇáãÓÇÚÏ ÇáÔÎÕí ÇáÑÞãí

ãÔÇåÏÉ ÇáäÓÎÉ ßÇãáÉ : “Citizen Khan” Divides UK Muslims

aammar
30-08-2012, 06:16 AM
A family-based comedy sitcom about the life of a British Muslim is dividing the sizable community, with some hail the series for correcting stereotypes and others accusing the show of ridiculing and insulting Islam.
"It is good to change the stereotyped image of Muslims always being serious and shouting that has appeared so often in the media," Yousuf Bhailok, former Secretary General of the umbrella Muslim Council of Britain (MBC), told the BBC on Wednesday, August 29.
He said the sitcom was “the best thing the BBC has done recently”.
"There is great humor among Muslims. I am glad it has been made."
The sitcom “Citizen Khan”, produced by the BBC, traces the life of a Muslim community worker in Birmingham.
It mocks the Muslim leader’s self-importance, including his delusions about his position in the community and about his standing in the business world.
The first episode of the series was aired on Monday and attracted 3.6 million viewers.
“Citizen Khan has made a very positive start, launching successfully with 3.6 million viewers and a 21.5% share in a late night slot,” a BBC spokesman said.
But the show sparked complaints among some viewers, who accused the BBC of repeating stereotypes about Muslims.
“This is terrible stereotyping, ignorant and just dreadful,” one viewer wrote on the BBC’s message board.
Critics cite a scene in which a heavily-made up girl, Khan’s daughter, rushed to wear a hijab and pretended to be reading the Qur’an when her father entered.
“Highly disappointed especially when her father walks in and she dis-respectfully opens the Qur’an,” another viewer wrote.
Another viewer accused the BBC of insulting and ridiculing Islam.
"We feel though as if this show has crossed the line and we expected a comedy show but now we have witnessed a mocking show," said the viewer.
No Offense
But Muslim leaders defended the comedy show, rejecting criticism of insulting Islam.
"People are reading too much into Citizen Khan, especially the hijab thing, it happens!" one Muslim viewer wrote.
Comedian Humza Arshad, star of the hit internet comedy Diary of a Badman, also defended the sitcom.
"I wasn't offended but I think some other people might be,” Arshad told the BBC’s Asian Network.
“For example, the scene with the Qur’an. Personally I'd play it safe. Some people might complain about it - I've got similar feedback myself by the audience,” he said.
“The Muslim community is one of the most sensitive communities out there."
The BBC also defended the show, the first Asian sitcom commissioned by the British broadcaster, saying it was not representing the whole Muslim community in Britain.
"New comedy always provokes differing reactions from the audience,” the BBC spokesman said.
“The characters are comic creations and not meant to be representative of the community as a whole."
Britain is home to a Muslim community of 2.5 million.
A recent government-commissioned study has found that a torrent of negative and imbalance stories in the British media demonize the sizable Muslim minority and their faith by spreading prejudices and portraying them as the enemy within.
An earlier British study had accused the media and film industry of perpetuating Islamophobia and prejudice by projecting Muslims as violent, dangerous and threatening people.