منتدى قصة الإسلام

منتدى قصة الإسلام (http://forum.islamstory.com//index.php)
-   Article Forum (http://forum.islamstory.com//forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Canada Muslims against domestic violence (http://forum.islamstory.com//showthread.php?t=48583)

aammar 20-01-2013 02:32 AM

Canada Muslims against domestic violence

Continuing their efforts to help their community, Canada Muslims are launching a new campaign against domestic violence by the end of January 2013, utilizing lectures, Friday sermons and classes to make a difference in their society.

"Every mosque, Islamic centre, school and even the MSA on [the University of Windsor] campus will be utilizing lectures, Friday sermons, classes, anything they can do to speak, to tackle this issue," Ahmed Azzam, from the Muslim Association of Canada-Windsor, told CBC News on Friday, January 18.

The campaign, Muslims for White Ribbon Campaign, would be launched at the end of this month.
The efforts of Canadian Muslims against domestic violence started in Toronto in 2011 in reaction to the Shafia case, in which three sisters and their father's first wife were killed in Kingston by family members.

"Personally, I'm a husband. I'm hoping soon to be a father to a daughter. I have sisters," Azzam said.

“I have lots of friends and I wouldn't want what's happened to happen to these women or girls in my life.”

One of its major goals of the campaign is to break the silence on violence against women in the Muslim community by encouraging mosques and organizations to sponsor awareness events.

It also aims to promote healthy relationships through education and create partnerships among mosques, women’s organizations, and social agencies to create a future without violence against women.

Muslims make around 2.8 percent of Canada's 32.8 million population, and Islam is the number one non-Christian faith in the north American country.

A recent survey showed that the overwhelming majority of Muslims are proud to be Canadian, and that they are more educated than the general population.

Great Initiative

Crossing barriers, the efforts of the Muslim community were appreciated by residents of the Windsor-Essex, a region where one in four women are victims of abuse.

"It is a societal issue and it doesn't just impact one ethnic group. It crosses all socio-economic lines," said Genevieve Isshak, clinical director residential and outreach services at the Hiatus House.

"So the fact that the Muslim community is doing this I think is great."

Another woman, Remy Boulbol, was also a victim of domestic violence long before meeting her husband.

She carried the scars from that past relationship into her marriage and they surfaced during an argument with husband.

"I thought, 'Oh god, he's going to hit me now.' He stopped and he turned around and looked at me and he saw the look of shear terror on my face and he nearly - this 6-foot-2, 220-pound man - nearly crumpled at the look on my face and the idea that I thought that might happen," she said.

Boulbol said her husband and those with "Muslims for White Ribbon" can make a difference.

In Islam, marriage is a sacred bond that brings together a man and a woman by virtue of the teachings of the Qur'an and the Sunnah.

Each partner in this sacred relationship must treat the other properly and with respect.

Woman is recognized by Islam as the full and equal partner of the man in the procreation of humankind.

By this partnership, she has an equal share in every aspect. She is entitled to equal rights, she undertakes equal responsibilities, and she has as many qualities and as much humanity as her partner.

Moreover, the relations between the spouses in Islam should be based on tranquility, love and mercy.
Canada Muslims In â€کWhite Ribbon’ Campaign - Americas - News - OnIslam.net...

الساعة الآن 02:23 PM.